Reports: Carr, Foxworth, Evans To Be Released

The Ravens will part ways with their two corners and Lee Evans, reports various outlets.

Posted by Ryan Mink on Thursday, March 1st, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Categories: Ryan Mink

On Friday at the combine, General Manager Ozzie Newsome said the Ravens were planning to release players to free up salary and enable them to sign desired free agents.

Baltimore is reportedly set to begin doing so.

NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora and the Carroll County Times’ Aaron Wilson are reporting that the Ravens will release veteran cornerbacks Chris Carr and Domonique Foxworth, as well as wide receiver Lee Evans. Carr essentially confirmed the report via Twitter.

Evans had the potential game-winning touchdown pass that would have sent Baltimore to the Super Bowl punched out of his hands in the AFC championship.

He notched just four regular-season catches in an injury-plagued season. Evans played in just nine regular-season games after suffering an ankle injury.

The Ravens acquired Evans for a reported fourth-round pick last offseason. He reportedly made $3.25 million last season and had one more year left on his contract.

Evans, 30, played the first seven years of his career with Buffalo. He would now be an unrestricted free agent who could possibly land with his second team in as many seasons.

Carr is another player with a larger salary who the Ravens have decided to let go. Carr said he met with Newsome and Head Coach John Harbaugh Thursday.

“Thanks everyone in bmore love the team and the city,” Carr tweeted. “It’s a business, I think it was the best for both parties.

Carr started all 16 games in 2010 after Baltimore sustained injuries to starters Foxworth and had Lardarius Webb returning from knee surgery.

As a result, he signed a reported four-year deal last offseason. At the time, Head Coach John Harbaugh said he was making “starter money.”

But Carr was no longer a starter last season.

With Webb healthy and playing at a Pro Bowl level, the surprise emergence of Cary Williams and first-round cornerback Jimmy Smith coming on, Carr started just one game last season.

He played in only nine games as he struggled with a hamstring injury at various points of the season. After making 61 tackles and intercepting two passes in 2010, Carr had 16 tackles and no picks last year.

The Carroll County Times’ Aaron Wilson said Carr was due a $2.5 million base salary and carried $3.45 million salary into next season.

Immediately after the season ended, Carr saw that his future might not be in Baltimore.

“I might be here, might not be here,” he said. “Just have to wait and see.

“I was injured a lot this year and we have a lot of young guys who can play and play well. You just don’t know what the future is exactly.”

Carr, 28, has long believed he is worthy of being an NFL starter, and if the report is confirmed, he would be allowed to pursue that elsewhere.

Wilson is also reporting that Foxworth will be released. La Canfora says the veteran cornerback, 28, will take a physical soon. Newsome said at the combine they would meet Thursday to discuss his future.

La Canfora said it’s hard to see Foxworth back at a $7 [million] salary but that if Foxworth’s health is far enough along that he could be back at a lower price.

Tags: , , , ,