Reports: Harris Turns Down Offer

Reports say CB Walt Harris nixed a one-year contract but a deal could still be reached.

Posted by Ryan Mink on Thursday, June 17th, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Categories: Ryan Mink

PLEASE NOTE: The opinions, analysis and/or speculation expressed on BaltimoreRavens.com represent those of individual authors, and unless quoted or clearly labeled as such, do not represent the opinions or policies of the Baltimore Ravens’ organization, front office staff, coaches and executives. Authors’ views are formulated independently from any inside knowledge and/or conversations with Ravens officials, including the coaches and scouts, unless otherwise noted.

Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post is reporting that veteran cornerback Walt Harris turned down a one-year contract offer from the Ravens on Wednesday, according to a league source.

However, Wilson says there is a possibility that a deal could still be reached before training camp.

Harris, 35, tore his anterior cruciate ligament during the San Francisco 49ers OTAs last year, which caused the 13-year veteran to miss the entire 2009 season. He had a successful tryout in Baltimore last week in his first action since the injury.

“I thought it went good,” Harris said of the tryout. “It’s a matter of trying to get back into the groove of things and plant. My knee felt good.”

The Ravens could still be looking for help at cornerback with starters Fabian Washington and Lardarius Webb rehabbing knee injuries. It’s unknown whether they will be able to suit up for the Ravens’ Week 1 game against the New York Jets on Sept. 13.

Baltimore has already signed one veteran cornerback off a tryout – Travis Fisher – but released three rookie free agent defensive backs Thursday.

Head Coach John Harbaugh said it’s likely that the Ravens would sign “at least one” of the defensive backs who tried out last week. Baltimore already inked one Thursday when safety Ken Hamlin agreed to a one-year deal.

Tags: , , , , ,